Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy Hogmonay

Well, here we are on the first day of the New Year. It's always a day filled with hope and promise for me. After lots and lots of snow, we are having a beautiful day of blue skies and sunshine on the snow. What a wonderful way to start the new year.

We had a fun evening with our friends Rick, Sandi, Jason and Linda to bring in the new year. One of the great blessings of my life, whatever the year may bring, is the company of our friends. They are such an integral part of my happiness and well being.

I thought to start the year, I'd take a look back on the year past. Our friend, Cheryl, had a neat idea using numbers for her Christmas card. I am borrowing from her {as I often do} and using numbers to highlight the year 2008 in the life of Hippochick and Hubby.

  • 62 - Jim turned 62 and began to draw his social security. Not only that, but because he is now drawing, I got a raise. How about that?
  • 40 - Years of marriage. What a ride it has been. We are having the time of our lives.
  • 4 - Weddings. Three beautiful weddings, all very different, which we were blessed to be able to attend and one in Africa which we only attended in our thoughts and prayers.
  • 6 - Delightful weeks in Henderson, Nevada. We are looking forward to eight weeks this winter.
  • 94 - Mom's 94th birthday was a real celebration. She is an amazing woman.
  • 45 - Combined pounds lost by Jim and me.
  • 23 - Combined pounds gained back by Jim and me. :(
  • 2 - Hand surgeries for Jim.
  • 1 - Successful surgery for Jim. PTL - His hand gets better every day.
  • 7 - Fun weeks working at the Marion library while they interviewed and hired the "Terrific Tracy" as their new director.
  • 34 - Per cent. That's what Wall Street says we lost on our investments in 2008. Isn't it great that we had something to lose?
  • 365 - Days of God's grace.

I think it's appropriate to share the following item which hangs on our refrigerator all the time. It was printed in the bulletin of the Green Valley Methodist church on June 11, 2006. It keeps our lives in perspective.

CENTERING THOUGHT

"IF YOU WOKE UP

this morning with more health than illness, you are more blessed than the million who will not survive the week.

IF YOU HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCED

the danger of battle, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture, or the pangs of starvation, you are ahead of 500 million people in the world.

IF YOU HAVE FOOD

in the refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof over your head, and a place to sleep, you are richer than 75% of the world.

IF YOU HAVE MONEY

in the bank, and spare change in a dish somewhere, you are among the top 8% of the world's wealthy.

IF YOU CAN READ

this message, you are more blessed than over two billion people in the world who cannot read at all."

~HIPPO HUGS~

P.S. Stop by my "Year in Pictures". I'm really going to try to stick to it this year.

9 comments:

Renie Burghardt said...

Hi Pam,

Our first day of 2009 was bright and sunny as well, minus the snow. Had a wonderful dinner with friends, and ate two helpings of collard greens, since they are supposed to bring good luck with money. LOL.

I feel as you do about my dear friends. They are such a blessing. Without them, life would be lonelier. I am an only child, so always missed having siblings. But I have my three wonderful children, and thank God for them every day.

May I borrow your Centering Thought? It's a reminder I would like to see on my refrigerator as well. I have experienced the danger of battle, and even the pangs of starvation, and feel so blessed to have survived. The thought of so many others experiencing that daily, is very sobering. To this day, I can not bear to watch a war movie, or any show with even the hint of violence or cruelty.

Oh, but I'm getting a bit too serious now. My son Greg will be here tonight, to spend the weekend, so I will get to go on a gift cards shopping spree in a larger town, this weekend. Yay!

May 2009 bring many blessings your way, dear Pam. Happy New Year, and God bless you.

Hugs,

Renie

Renie Burghardt said...

Oh, and I will be checking out your "Year in Pictures!"

Hugs!

Michelle said...

Pam, HUGE hugs to you and the best wishes for 2009!

45 lbs??? really??

She's doing well Pam. It's the best we could expect. Prayers have helped and are helping.


Thank you for you, and Nancy and ..so many who have reached out. I am overwhelmed.

Smooches!

M

Gutsy Living said...

I'm new to your blog and love the way you summarize the good things in your life.
I like to start the new year with positive good feelings. Happy 2009.

Leslie Rubio said...

Thanks for sharing the thoughts from your church bulletin-it really puts things in perspective. Happy New Year and blessings always,

Leslie

Cheryl Wray said...

Happy 2009 to you and Jim. I pray that this will be your best year ever!

I love what you did with the numbers list. It was so cool to remember the things you'd done this year--and your cheerful, fun attitude shines through it!

I love the quote from your bulletin. I think I will print it out and put it on my fridge as well.

Anonymous said...

Love your review! Happy New Year and have a great 2009!

Monogram Queen said...

Pam what a very wonderful post! I kvetch and moan about my job (and it DOES make me so unhappy alot of the time) but not ALL of the time and Thank God I have a rotten job to kvetch about!

Hippo Hugs and Happy New Year too!

Nancy said...

Grrrrreat post, Pam, and as always, an interesting one! You always come up with some of the best ideas for your posts!

Wishing you and Jim a wonderful 2009!

((( HUGS )))