Monday, July 21, 2008

Take Me Out To The Ballgame!

Oh what a night!!! Isn't that the title of a Four Seasons' Song? Well, we had such a great night on Friday.

Some time ago, I had read in the Rochester paper that there was an upcoming Redwings' game where the philharmonic orchestra would be playing and fireworks would be featured. My passing thought was, "That would be a lot of fun!" Then, I threw the paper in the recycling and promptly forgot about it.

UNTIL Jim came home from coffee one Wednesday morning and said that his friend George was organizing a group from his church to go to this game where the orchestra would play and fireworks would be featured. LIGHTBULB.

We contacted some friends, ordered tickets from George and were off to the ballgame Friday evening.

It was great. It was a really warm and humid evening but there was a nice breeze blowing and it was really comfortable.

I'm sure you know the story of people who go to the ball stadium, get a hotdog and a beer and are perfectly happy. Let me tell you that's not me. Frontier Field has many food kiosks and I eat from the best; the Red Osier Prime Rib Pit. We had the best prime rib sandwich and baked potato with cheese and broccolie. YUMMY!! With a full tummy, I could settle in and {talk to my girlfriends} through the whole nine innings.



Sienna came to her first ball game.



Good company at the ball park.

The game was really fun even if our team lost by six runs. It was a good game with lots of runs and we all enjoyed the game and the ambiance of the ballpark.





By the time the 7th inning stretch came along, we gals had to have some coffee. So off we went to look for Starbucks. Look what we found.



This horse is made totally from old ball gloves. It is really amazing. I told my friends to stand by the horse and just as I was ready to snap the picture someone lifted their little girl onto the horse. I decided it added to the authenticity of the horse.

The game over, the Philharmonic played for 45 minutes. It was truly wonderful and I would have been in heaven had the people behind me not talked out loud through the entire concert. I don't know what it is about an outdoor concert that leads people to think they don't have to display any etiquette.



I took several shots of the orchestra which didn't come out very well. This one was shot displayed on the big screen.

The fireworks were some of the best we have seen in years. The most unbelievable part of this whole evening was that it cost us $8.50 per person {not including the roast beef and Starbucks}. How's that for a perfect evening?

"If the fans don't come out to the ballpark, you can't stop them."
Yogi Berra

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh Pam, I cannot tell you how much your hippo Hugs mean to me. They make me smile through tears sometimes.

I used to go to the Marlins games all the time, I do love a good baseball game. Live, not memorex.

I am so glad you had an amazing time!

I am sorry, I haven't been a better friend lately.

Diane said...

What a great evening! Ballgame, orchestra, and Starbucks...I'm green with envy. LOL

What a clever idea for the old gloves. Oh, if that old horse could talk...he'd have quite a story, huh?

Hugs!!
Diane

Nancy said...

Oh, drat it! My comment didn't go through! So I'll start again...next time I'll copy it just in case!

What a fun time you all had! Nothing like good food, good friends, and hot, humid weather to make for a fun time at the ballpark! And all for just $8.50? You certainly hit the jackpot on that one!!

We used to go to Pittsburgh for the Pirates' games when our kids were young. It was so hot and humid every time! I remember poor little Tim sitting through a doubleheader with the sweat running down his face! And he didn't even like baseball!!! He loved the drinks and food but especially enjoyed the organ music they played throughout the game.

I'll never live down the time I hollered to Hank Aaron, "We love ya, Hank!" He was walking toward the stands right where we were sitting, and he heard me and waved back! We had really good seats close to the field that time.

Your pictures were great!!! Nothing as pretty as a green, plush ballfield! I love the way they mow it in that criss-cross pattern!

I've never seen anything like that ballglove horse! Unique idea!!!

You always write the best posts!!! Great pics and just sooooo interesting!!!

(((((( HUGS ))))))

Mississippi Songbird said...

Great fun!.. Looks like you had a good time...

Tracy said...

sounds like an awesome summer evening!
Kaylyn went with the rec. program to the Red Wings game yesterday afternoon, but they got rained out and came home early.
I love Red Osier sandwiches!

Midlife Mom said...

What a fun time!!!!! We're going to a Red Sox game in a couple of weeks but it's not going to be nearly as exciting as your game! I would love the music and the fireworks! Oh and the food! lol! You certainly got a lot for the money. I agree, why do people think they can talk and chatter away just because it's an outside concert? Grrrrrrr! I think I would have been tempted to turn around and give them the evil eye!! ha!
Hope you are having a great weekend!!!

Cheryl Wray said...

That looks like just a WONDERFUL night!!! (YOu know me...anything with sports is a good thing!!:-)

That food sounds wonderful too.I haven't ever had food THAT good at any sporting event. lol

And the orchestra sounds wonderful too...sounds like my kind of night all around!

And, btw...we had a GREAT sports week too. Delaney's team won the world series!!! yay!!!!