Tuesday, October 27, 2009

It's Tuesday

Today was another beautiful day in Upstate, NY, bright sunshine, blue skies and wonderful fall colors everywhere. Jim and I took a walk along the canal path and I took my camera. Jim accuses of me of using the camera as an excuse to stop in rest every once in awhile.










If it didn't mean that winter was on its way, I think this might be my favorite season. Well, maybe not. I do love spring with the greening of the grass, buds on the trees and flowers blooming. Or maybe my favorite is Summer. Summer is so lovely with her gowns of green and multicolored bouquets. I guess I am really a pretty fickle lover of seasons. I don't even really hate winter. I just wish it lasted about six weeks and that no snow would fall on the sidewalks or roads. Is that too much to ask for.


Anyway, today's walk was glorious. We stopped on the way and had lunch. We each had a bowl of scrumptious beef barley soup and shared a yummy grilled cheese sandwich. Then we went on our way and finished our walk.


We have talked about the possibility of buying cross country skis and skiing on the canal path in the winter. We used to do cross country and then we had a few winters with scant snow and we just got out of the habit. I think we sold our skis at a garage sale and forgot about them until the last couple of years. Now that we have more time and desperately need winter exercise, we are thinking of it again. I think we might go to a place where we can rent equipment and see how it works before we invest.


The weather looks mild for the rest of the week, with some rain thrown our way from time to time. We're hoping for dry weather on Friday and Saturday as we are going to the Adirondacks to close up Bruce and Shelly's summer home. We had been looking forward to the four of us going for a last hurrah before winter. Now, it is just a reminder of how quickly life can take a turn.


Speaking of Bruce and Shelly, there has been no change in Bruce's condition. He is under less sedation, but he is still on the ventilator. He is more aware, but also more frustrated because he can't talk and he hates that breathing tube. There was talk of doing the surgery on his arm, shoulder and leg today, but he had a slight fever and they decided not to do it. He still isn't moving his lower extremities.



This is a picture of their Nisson Murano just after they cut Bruce out of the driver's seat. As far as we know the intoxicated driver of the other car was not seriously injured. He admitted at the scene that he had been drinking too much. Please continue to pray for Bruce's recovery. No matter what the outcome, he has a very long road of rehab ahead of him.
A former student of Bruce's has started a group of Friends and Former Students of Bruce Thompson on FaceBook and over 500 people have joined. I guess that gives us a good idea of how much this man has influenced the lives of people around here. I just know that my heart is breaking and I want my friend back...as soon as possible.

~Hippo Hugs~

12 comments:

Dana said...

wow, that car! Praying for his speedy recovery and for strength for Shelly. I can't imagine.

Renie Burghardt said...

Your pictures are beautiful, Pam. I'm glad your weather was so nice today. We've had pouring rain since this morning. Kind of fitting for my son and granddaughter leaving this morning. They just got home to Ohio and I miss them already.

I will keep Bruce and Shelly in my prayers. Like Dana said, I just can't imagine the pain and suffering of it all. Life can change in the blink of an eye.

Take care!

Hugs,

Renie

camport said...

That last line breaks my heart. Sean's aunt was killed by a drunk driver twenty years ago. That one selfish decision, to drink and drive, ruined so many lives. I'm hoping you get your friend back soon!


Chrissy

Tracy said...

Yesterday's weather was scrumptious! I kept taking little business walks into town from the library. Had to go get the mail. Then a bank deposit... That was as much as I got to enjoy the nice day, but everything looks so pretty.

Mz.Elle said...

Oh my goodness..that wreck..
I'm so sorry for your friends:(

Your photos are beautiful! Our leafy season is gone here,the wind blew them all away,lol So I'm thankful for your pictures!

Monogram Queen said...

Bruce is ever in my prayers. That car looks SCARY. It just ticks me off that the drunk drivers so rarely get hurt - it's the innocents who do. *FROWN*

Your pics are beautiful. They are like balm to my soul. I"m so glad I got up North for the Fall, if only for a little while and even if it was for a very sad occasion.

Dagmar said...

Hi Pam,
Our hearts go out to you and our prayers for your friend Bruce and his family...we hope for a good outcme.
Hugs,
Dagmar

Laura said...

It seems like yesterday I was reading your post about going with your friends to their summer home to OPEN it for the summer. My, how time flies and summer has truly flown this year.

I am so sorry to hear about your friends. It sounds like Bruce has a long road to go. I'll be praying for your friends, Pam, because I know with God, all things are possible.

Hugs,
Laura

Midlife Mom said...

Oh Pam! I am so sorry to hear about your friends accident! I will keep both of them in my prayers as she has a hard row ahead along with him. I hope he recovers completly from this but like you say it will take a long time. How angry I get when I hear about innocent people being hurt or killed by drunk drivers! I have always supported MADD, Mothers Against Drunk Drivers. We have a situation near to our family where a certain person has been picked up over and over for driving drunk. Hopefully this time he will get some help and some serious jail time before he kills someone. What a help you are to Shelly and I'm sure she appreciates it so much. Keep us posted on Bruce's progress please!

Your pictures are beautiful! Fall is my favorite time of year with summer close behind. Well, I like winter too so I guess I'm like you and love them all!

Take care and I will be praying for you and hubby while you help your friends recover! xoxox

Anonymous said...

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

Nancy said...

That car is a total mess..it's a wonder they both weren't killed! I know you will be there for them and that has to be a lot of comfort to them both. He does have a long road ahead of him yet....Prayers are continuing for a complete recovery for him!

Your pics are so pretty! Nothing as pretty as Fall foliage!

I must get back to blogging one of these days! I have a lot to write about now but just not enough time at present to write! Isn't that always the way?

Love ya!

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

Drinking and driving angers me so!

I do love your pics of Fall, your Fall is a lot like ours. Our trees are bare now though. Fall is much too short. Snow is in the forecast this week.