Saturday, September 6, 2008

~A Grand Getaway~

I'm not sure just how the whole adventure evolved. Visiting the Pine Creek Gorge or the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania as it is more commonly known, has been on our Bucket List for some time so this past Wednesday we started our little journey to make this part of the list a reality.

I think I am the one who came up with the idea to find a bed and breakfast in the area and combine it with a visit to Jim's mom who also lives in Pennsylvania. That decided, I thought I should include a visit with my aunts and a favorite cousin. Well, as you can see, there was a process of evolution that led to this glorious weekend.

Far be it from me to interfere with the weekly "Men's Breakfast" so we left here around 10:30 on Wednesday, headed for Mansfield, Pennsylvania and the university from which Jim graduated forty years ago.



Mind you, forty years ago, this was Mansfield State College, formerly Mansfield State Teacher's College, formerly Mansfield Normal School. Whatever, Jim and I had only been on the campus once in the past forty years.

Someone had recommended that we eat lunch at "Gramma's Kitchen". We were certainly glad that we had followed that recommendation. The lunch was really good, but the blueberry pie was outstanding. Before leaving, we purchased some homemade cookies for the intended hike into the canyon. I'm sorry to report, they never made it to the canyon, being consumed later in the evening on the deck of our B&B.

We drove around town and then parked and walked up to the campus. What an eye opener. Although I didn't attend Mansfield, I had applied and visited there as a senior in high school. I had visited Jim on the campus when he attended there so, like him, was astonished at the changes. It is really a lovely campus and the improvements are vast. I was pleased that North Hall, the original building of Mansfield, has been preserved and is being used as a computer center. It was an absolutely delightful afternoon.

Wellsboro, home of the Grand Canyon, and where we were spending the night, is only a short drive from Mansfield, on Route 6 in Pennsylvania. We were at our B&B in no time. I had found this lodge on the Internet and didn't know exactly what to expect. It far exceeded our expectations.


The minute we drove up the winding drive to the lodge, we were entranced. Having had a really substantial lunch, we were definitely ready to spend the entire evening in this hideaway. From being greeted by Samantha, the hostess, to sitting on the deck with our wine and cheese, to relaxing in the jacuzzi, to sleeping in the wonderful bed, we were totally mesmerized by our surroundings.






We are already planning on a return trip to this wonderful hideaway.

Although we were tempted to linger in these surroundings, we were up early and on our way to the canyon. But first, a stop for breakfast (courtesy of our hosts at Bear Mountain Lodge) at the "famous" Wellsboro Diner where we had a great breakfast.



Wellsboro is a delightful Victorian town set in the endless mountains of Pennsylvania. Arriving at the park that gives entrance to the gorge, we were overwhelmed with its beauty.



It was a mile long hike to the bottom of the gorge, filled with beautiful sights at every turn.



I'm sure you are all aware of the saying "What goes up must come down". Well, in our case, what goes down, needed to come up, and we did.



This is our "We Made It" picture. We ended the day with arrival at Jim's brother's home and cake to celebrate his 62nd birthday. Jim kept saying he was really celebrating as now he can draw his social security.

There was more to this fabulous weekend, but I think if you've stayed with me this long, you deserve a break. I'll post about my wonderful day with my aunt and cousin in a day or two.

Thanks for hanging in there with me. Hope your Sunday is super. Isn't God good?

~Hippo Hugs~

7 comments:

Faye said...

Wow...what a discovery! It's fun to go exploring as a couple....and to find a nest to go back to again :)

Nancy said...

The B&B looked delightful!!!! Sounds like a great time was enjoyed by you both!!! You always plan theeee best trips!!! So glad you share them with all of us!!!

I lived 39 years of my life in PA and never did see the Grand Canyon there. Both Stosh and I were never really the outdoors type. We would never have even thought of hiking....not saying that we couldn't have used the exercise! LOL We liked amusement parks, the beach, stuff like that. You make everything look like such fun! That's what keeps you young!!!

Waiting for the next post now!!!

(((((( HUGS ))))))

Midlife Mom said...

What beautiful pictures of your trip and that lodge looks just delightful!

Thank you for your kind words concerning the loss of our dear Buddy. People have been so good and I am overwhelmed by their care and concern for us. We will always miss him but hopefully this will get better with time. xoxo

Cheryl Wray said...

Wine and cheese at a bed& breakfast is my way to spend a weekend!!! It sounds wonderful!

And the Gorge looks just gorgeous (Do you know that in Alabama we have the widest canyon east of the Mississippi? It's called Little River Canyon and is beautiful. Isn't it amazing how there are such cool things near by you?)

Have a GREAT day!!!

Renie Burghardt said...

Hi Pam,

Oh, you did have a delightful visit to Pennsylvania! What gorgeous pictures. I love to hike as well, and the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania looks absolutely breath taking! You and Jim find the best places to visit and enjoy. I love reading about all your adventures.

Hugs,

Renie

Sorry I'm a little behind on my visiting.

Cheryl Wray said...

Hey again!!!

As if you have nothing better to do...I tagged you on my blog!! (You can save it for later on, if you need to! :-)

Monogram Queen said...

I am getting homesick for PA now!

My cousin (Pam ironically) went to Mansfield when it was Mansfield State Teachers College!