Monday, December 22, 2008

Weekend Celebrations

There are lots of reasons to celebrate this time of year; holiday parties, cookie and gift exchanges, many festivities. This weekend we took part in two celebrations that really had nothing to do with the Christmas season.


On Saturday, we went to the home of our friends, Bob and Laurie, to say "Bon Voyage and best wishes" to Emily who left on Sunday for Africa where she will be married on December 27. We would all be very sad to be missing Emily's wedding except that as soon as her husband gets a visa, they will have another ceremony and party right here in our little corner of the world.

Not only was this cake clever, it was really delicious. We all use the same "cake lady" and she never disappoints us.

This gathering was just a few close friends and family members. It was a really nice way to start Christmas week as well as show our love to Emily.

Sunday was a whirl wind day. In church, I did the Children's Sermon with the lighting of the Angel candle. It was such fun. The children are darling and so excited for Christmas.

We skipped Sunday School and went to breakfast at our local restaurant where the owner always serves "Bailey's Irish Cream" with coffee to those who care to partake. I had my usual Sunday breakfast called "A Spring Morning Sandwich", an English muffin topped with spinach, tomato, over easy eggs and cheddar cheese. It's always yummy.

After breakfast we made a quick stop home to change our clothes and then it was on to the city for our friend Kyle's wedding. Kyle and Christina chose to be married in a special wedding chapel. See, Las Vegas isn't the only city that has wedding chapels. It was a beautiful setting for a beautiful wedding.

The reception was held at a landmark hotel in the center of the city. I didn't even know it existed. That probably tells you how often I go all the way into the city. Anyway, it was a delightfully elegant place for a wedding reception.

Kyle and Christina, both talented singers, entertained with a couple of songs from a recent show in which they are appearing. That was really fun.

The food was good, the company excellent, the atmosphere festive. Who could ask for more? I could. I had absolutely no luck getting a picture of the bride and groom. If you doubt me, just look...




If you look closely, you will see a glimpse of Christina's cape and veil behind Shelly. In the second picture, Kyle is the smiling fellow to the right of the fireplace. I did manage to get a picture of Kyle's grandmothers, both of whom looked lovely.

Here is a picture of Kyle and Christina taken at Christina's shower. They really looked wonderful in their wedding finery. Sorry you only have my word for it, no picture.

Nancy tagged all her readers to list five things they love about Christmas. I really love Christmas so only five will be hard. Here goes:

1. Celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ. I can't even begin to imagine my life without Him.

2. Decorations. I just love decorating the house, the tree, hanging wreaths outside. It is such a festive time of year.

3. I know I probably shouldn't say this, but I love the hustle and bustle as long as it doesn't get too hectic.

4. Baking and giving away Christmas cookies.

5. Shopping, wrapping and giving gifts to special people. Even though our Christmas giving has changed some these past few years, I still get such joy out of the gift giving we do.

6. Okay, so I couldn't stop at 5. I just love sending and receiving Christmas cards. We have received so many cards with pictures of friends and family this year. It is so cool to see how the children are changing{the old folks too}.

7. Our wonderful Christmas Eve service at church. After the candlelight service, we go to the fellowship hall and have birthday cake for Jesus. It just makes me happy all over to see our friends one last time before Christmas morning.

8. Don't hate me: SNOW. I love snow for Christmas.


Like most of the rest of you, I could go on and on. Jim and I will have a very quiet and special Christmas this year. We will miss our children and hope that maybe next year we can spend Christmas with at least one of them.

I think I'll post at least one more time before the "big day". I'll keep my Christmas plans until then.

Thanks to all of you who posted your sympathies to all of us in the death of our dear friend, Lena. Today was her funeral service. It was such a time of celebrating the life of a dear Saint. Our grief is only for ourselves and her dear husband. Our joy is knowing she is in heaven.

~Hippo Hugs~

7 comments:

Cheryl Wray said...

Sounds like some wonderful celebrations!

And I just LOVE your list of Christmas favorites. I agree with everything you listed...now if we could ever just get some snow down here!! :-)

Renie Burghardt said...

Hi Pam,

Your weekend celebrations looked like great fun. Love the cake! And the bride and groom are both beautiful.

I agree with your Christmas favorites as well, except the snow part. It's beautiful but I would rather do without it. And I enjoy the hustle and bustle of the season as well!

Have a joyous and merry Christmas!

Love and hugs,

Renie

Nancy said...

Your Christmas favorites is a perfect list!!! I did mine up in such a rush and should have given it a little more thought.

The cake was great!!!! That took some work! I used to make professional cakes, and I know the time and work involved. I don't even make any for my own family anymore.

The wedding looked beautiful! Isn't that always the way when you're trying to get a picture...someone is always in the way! LOL Anyhow, we know they were a beautiful couple on their wedding day and a very happy couple, too!

Great post, Pam!

Merry Christmas to you both!!!

Love and hugs!
Nancy

Laura said...

What a festive way to start the holidays! Kudos to "the cake lady"!

Midlife Mom said...

Wow! You have had a busy Christmas season! What a beautiful wedding even though we couldn't see the bride! lol! Don't you hate it when someone walks right in front of a good picture!? heehee! Made for fun reading though!
Loved your Christmas list, it was so much like mine! And I too love to have snow for Christmas, we were so happy to see the flakes drifting down on Christmas Eve. Since then we have had rain...grrrrrr....and it has taken a lot of our snow off. It's actually foggy today with the temps going up to the 50's. Go figure! To think I was planning on doing some snowmobiling this week with the grand kids. Sigh....
My sympathies to Lena's husband and family. What a tragic accident and you are right we need to pray for the driver of the truck. What joy though to know that Lena is with the Father and well and happy!!
Must get ready for church, hope the fog clears up before we have to leave. We live right on the river so it kind of clings to the fog. Take care and Happy New Year to you and yours!

Monogram Queen said...

Sending you Holiday Hugs from South Carolina. I love how you are spending your holiday and wish the best to your sweet friends!

Mississippi Songbird said...

What beautiful pictures.. Looks like a wonderful time...