Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Bits and Pieces of My Crazy Life

How can a retired person be too busy to post on her blog? I have asked myself that question a lot in the last few days. Alas, I haven't come up with a really good answer. I have known for a while that our June and July schedule was rather busy, but when I sit down and take a good look at the calendar, I am overwhelmed. There are all the usual appointments, no problem. Then there are all the fun things, like dinner with friends, parties, weddings, showers, no problem. There are the obligations that we have chosen like Vacation Bible School and Church Camp, these, too, are no problem. It's adding in all the necessities of life, you know, laundry, vacuuming, dusting, cooking, lawn work, gardening, those things are what create the problem.
Today, I'm just setting all that aside and spending some time here at my computer and out there with my dear friends in Blogland. So here we go with the current installment of Jim and Pam plus none. No drama here, my friends. No divorce, no births, no trauma. Just the day to day fun in the lives of two happily married "geezers".
I think at last post, I had just returned from spending some time with my Aunt and Uncle. My Uncle is recovering rapidly from his surgery and sounds just like his old self. I am hoping this last little emergency will help convince them to make some changes in their living arrangements, but I'm not holding my breath.


Prior to that little sojourn, we had just returned from our "camp opening expedition" to the Adirondack Mountains. We had a great time, definitely not all work and no play. Here are a few pictures.
We planted flowers. Sixteen window boxes, six geraniums each,




We dusted, vacuumed, mopped, cleaned tubs, etc.



We also, sat on the deck and the porch

where we enjoyed the view of the lake.

Back in the land of reality, we had lots of yard work to do. We (like much of the country) have had lots and lots of rain, which encourages growth of grass. With Jim's hand still in recovery, I am helping with the mowing for the first time in maybe 20 years. I'm actually not doing too badly. I admit to lots of aches and pains at the end of the day, but hallelujah for A*dvil PM.

Did I mention that along with grass, the weeds are growing like, well WEEDS. Consequently, we've been busy in the garden. That too, is something I've not been involved in in past years, but this year finds me out there weeding and cultivating. More aching muscles.
The result of all our hard work. It will really be worth it in a few weeks when we are eating all the wonderful fresh vegetables.


There has been some entertaining going on along with all the work. Last Friday night we had dinner on the porch with friends, and played one of our favorite games, Bonanza. The food and company was good and we had a lot of laughs.

.


Bruce made these "whoopie pies" from my SIL, Carolyn's recipe. They were fabulous. Calorie free, of course.

Tomorrow we're off to the Wegman's LPGA. I am really excited about seeing all the women golfers who I watch on TV. I enjoyed myself so much last year that this year, we are going for two days. BIL, Laverne, and his friend Cathy are coming on Thursday evening which will make the weekend that much more fun.

Today, we're off to grocery shop and do some errands. I think I might even talk my dear hubby into lunch. Hey, maybe I'll offer to pay.

~Hippo Hugs~

"When things go wrong,

don't go with them."

Elvis Presley

8 comments:

Laura said...

Okay, Pam! I need THREE things from you: 1) a trip to your camp house, 2) rain, and 3) lots and lots of "whoopie pies"!! Those look awesome! I'd have to say in all your "busy-ness," you sure do look like you're having lots of fun! Emjoy!

Winifred said...

No wonder you have no time to blog. My goodness what a pace you go at. How on earth could you have ever found time to go to work with a schedule like that.

I love your photos the lake view looks fantastic. What a nice place to just "stop and stare".

I like the look and the sound of those calorie free pies. What a star!

Have a lovely weekend.

Tracy said...

Mr. T made whoopie pies?! my favorite! Looks like your summer is off to a great start. Now that recital is over and summer reading sign ups habe begun I can get into the summer spirit too. Tonight I have to attend a 7th grade orientation for parents. **sniff-sniff**

Renie Burghardt said...

Hi Pam,

I'm glad to hear your uncle is doing well after his surgery. And you certainly have been busier than a bee!

Your garden looks beautiful! All the hard work has paid off. My little garden is starting to produce. I am getting green beans, zucchini and cucumbers. Lots of green tomatoes on the vines, but I don't expect my first ripe one until the middle of July. I can't wait!

After a two month rainy period, we have now settled into a hot and dry period. It's been in the mid-90s all week, but I still get out and have lots of fun. Makes life more interesting!

Enjoy your two days at Wegman's LPGA. See you when you get back.

Hugs,

Renie

Midlife Mom said...

I know exactly what you mean. I thought I would have all kinds of free time to do all kinds of projects once I retired but I'm as busy as ever and don't get all the things done that I would like to. Funny how it happens that way.

Your pictures of the lake house are just wonderful. What a view!! Do you go there often with your friends?

Yes, when the buck stops with you it's a little nerve wracking. My sister is the director of our VBS and she is glad that it is in full swing and all is well. They are having huge crowds of kids which is wonderful!! We put the big sign out on the front lawn of the church as it is on a busy road and get lots of children each year plus all the kids from our own church. When does yours start?

Your garden looks wonderful. My poor little pathetic garden is just about under water at this point. I hope the sun comes out soon so that we can salvage something out of it.

We did have fresh strawberry shortcakes for dessert tonight and man oh man did those taste good! No wonder I can't lose any weight! lol!

Take care and I will be praying that your VBS goes well with lots of kiddos! xoxo

Dagmar said...

Hey there;
nice to see you back in blog land...So have a happy week..

Cheryl Wray said...

Mmmm, whoopie pies!!! Send some my way please. lol

You are an inspiration. When I'm at retirement age, I pray I'm as active and loving life as you are!!

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

It does get awful busy in the summer. The whoopie pies look amazing. I am going to have to look that one up!

Enjoy your summer.