Tuesday, June 9, 2009

What a wonderful weekend

It was fun, fun, fun all weekend long. Jim was laughing this morning saying that we slept in a different bed each night of our long weekend.


Night One


We drove down to Wellsboro, Pa and met our friends, Jeff and Jan at the famous Wellsboro Diner for lunch. The plan was to go out the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon after lunch and hike, but the weather intervened. Instead of hiking in the rain, we thought shopping in the rain sounded much better. We spent a fun afternoon browsing the shops. I found a few patriotic decorations for my seasonal tree. Sometime after three, we drove out to




Bear Mountain Lodge


where we spent our first night on the road. Jim and I had been here last fall and enjoyed it so much we wanted to return. Jeff and Jan were as enamored with this wonderful hideaway as we were. After a leisurely couple of hours visiting in the great room of the lodge we went to a nearby restaurant for a delicious dinner.



These darling little girls were swinging on this little swing when we walked into the restaurant. I couldn't resist taking their picture. Their families were seated at a table near us and they were the best behaved little children.


Clever bench posts. This would be a good place to mention our waitress who was not only efficient, but lots of fun.

Saturday


Saturday morning it was off to hike the canyon. The weather was definitely cooperating with beautiful sunshine and clear skies.

This is the view from the top of the canyon. The trail is about a mile long down to Pine Creek.



There are some steps and landings on the trail, but most of it is switch backs.it may be hard to believe, but it's a lot easier going back up than it going down. My poor legs really ached on Sunday and Monday.

We bid farewell to Jan and Jeff about 1:30, they back to Lancaster and Jim and I on to Austin to attend our Alumni Reunion.





Saturday Evening




The Class of '63. This was the first annual Alumni Reunion and wasn't as well attended as we would have liked, but we have hopes for the future. The Class of '63 only had four of it's 25 graduates attending. We have high hopes for next year



Huston Family graduates. My Aunt Shirley and cousin Amy are also alumni. After the alumni party, we drove to Jim's brother and SIL's home for a visit and our second bed of the weekend.


Sunday


After brunch at a Boy Scout fundraiser in Austin, Jim and I attended church where we we grew up worshipping and were married. It was nice to be back in that church once again. Then it was on to spend some time with his mom. We had a great afternoon riding around the area where my mom, aunts and uncles grew up. We topped the ride off with ice cream sundaes before we took Mom back to her residence.


We ended the day in Bradford, PA with my SIL and niece. It was so good to see them. It's such fun to be with Kacy as she still likes us and wants to spend time with us.





Isn't she cute? And she thinks she's soooo funny!


Oh yes, did I mention The Boyfriend? She's growing up despite my desire to keep her a little girl.



Kacy has a Super Mom. She's a pretty good sister-in-law too.


Monday it was back home and reality once again. The weather was still cooperating and we were able to get the lawn mowed. I also managed to get the rest of my mulch spread. We were pleased, but tired. We collapsed into our own bed pretty early and slept through a huge thunder storm.


Tomorrow, we're off again. This time to the mountains with our friend, Bruce, to get their cabin ready for summer habitation and plant some flowers. Bruce says we aren't going to work very hard. I'm taking him at his word and have packed two novels and my crossword puzzle book. I'll be back on Monday reporting on the progress we make.


Until then, have a wonderful week.


~Hippo Hugs~


"If there is anything half so much fun


as being alive,


I'd like to know what it is."


*Blogger's note - Blogger was really uncooperative tonight. It has taken me over an hour to get pictures to load. ARGG

7 comments:

Winifred said...

You certainly do some travelling? What great photos. Have you got a photo of the church where you got married? I'm a compulsive church viewer. Love seeing different ones.

Nancy said...

Sounded like a full, but fun, weekend!!! Who were the 4 from our class in the one pic??? I know you, and is the guy Richard C.?? But I know not who the other two are.

The lodge looks so beautiful!!! And peaceful!!! Bet Elva enjoyed the ride, didn't she? How nice that she is still able to get out like that!

Hope you have another fun weekend!!

((( HUGS )))

Midlife Mom said...

What a lovely time! So nice that you got to see friends and family and then the reunion too. Too bad more don't come out for those things. Hubby has his 40th this summer and I hope lots of people attend. That lodge looks postcard pretty! Hope you are having a great week and I too would like to see a picture of the church that you got married in. :o)

Renie Burghardt said...

Hi Pam,

Wow, you packed a lot of fun into your weekend! Love all the pictures, especially the canyon and that picturesque lodge. And now you're off for even more fun. I'm looking forward to more pictures.

Enjoy, and Hugs,

Renie

Anonymous said...

You really do know how to live (and, I love the quote -- perfect)!!!

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

I am exhausted just reading! What a great weekend, and I bet you were tired.

Cheryl Wray said...

What a wonderful time...and WONDERFUL pictures!!!