Thursday, February 5, 2009

On The Road Again

I felt better as the day went on yesterday and by bedtime thought I might survive. I managed to finish my packing and get my nails and hair done, considering the way I felt, a great accomplishment.

By 7:45 this morning, the car was all packed and we were ready to leave Western NY. Here are a couple of pics of how it looked out our living room window as we were about to depart.





We went about 1-1/2 miles to the local gas station when I realized that I had forgotten my sun glasses. The pumps were very busy so instead of pulling and getting gas, we turned around and drove back home to get my glasses. Consequently, when we arrived at the pumps about seven minutes later the gas price had risen 6 cents . Can you believe that?

Added to the swirling snow, that wasn't the greatest way to start our day. I'll admit, we were a little concerned about the snow. Driving toward Buffalo, NY and Erie, PA in February can be a treacherous journey. However, six miles down the road we drove out of the snow and into blue skies and sunshine. We had smooth sailing all the way through NY, PA and Ohio. That's lake effect snow for you.

I have a great story about lake effect snow. We usually know the difference between area wide and lake effect snow and are in the habit of saying, "Oh, it's only lake effect." I guess we say it a lot because Paige told me when she was about 18 years old that she always thought it looked like regular snow and and felt like regular snow and couldn't figure out what was different about it.

We arrived in Erie, PA about 11:30, just in time for lunch. My elderly Aunt and Uncle live in Erie and they were able to meet us just off the highway for lunch. They have been such an important part of my life and I love them dearly. It is bittersweet to be with them these days as their health is deteriorating. My Uncle is 84 and my Aunt, who is blind, is 80. She asked me today if I could believe she was 80. My answer was that if I was going to be 64 tomorrow, she had to be 80. She was just 16 when I was born, and happily gave up her position of baby of the family to me. In many ways, she was a second mother to me. It was very precious to spend the lunch hour with them today.

And so, here we are. Tucked in our snug hotel room, me blogging and Jim watching Pat Summit vying for her 1000th victory for Tennessee girls basketball. Jim is really impressed with her. She is an amazing coach.


We had a good meal at Red Lobster and spent a half hour in the hot tub. Now I'm ready for a good night's sleep and tomorrow we see our Paige(y). Can hardly wait.

Today's Word

Hyperbole -a figure of speech in which exaggeration

is used for emphasis or effect, as in this book weighs a ton.

~Hippo Hugs~

5 comments:

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

I am glad you drove out of the snow quickly. How nice to get a chance to visit with your Aunt and Uncle. I totally understand lake effect snow. Looks pretty relaxing in the hot tub. Wishing you a safe day's travel tomorrow.

Faye said...

I'm so glad you are feeling better and had a relaxing ending to your day. Driving in snow is terrible and I hate it too, but how wonderful to drive out of it so quickly.
Wishing you a safe journey for today :)

Monogram Queen said...

Been looking for these pics! They are so pretty. I hope you have a very safe journey, may your travel angel be working overtime my sweet friend.

Cheryl Wray said...

Looks like a GREAT time!!!!! Love all the pics!!! (Especially of the hot tub. I LOVE it, and I wish I were in one right now!)

Nancy said...

Oh, it looked so blustery the morning you left! I have been hearing that from our snowbirds who were arriving Feb. 1st...that they couldn't wait to get out of the snow and into the warmer weather. Well, FL has been cold, too! To warm up over the weekend, though.

Nice that you met up with your aunt and uncle in Erie! It's hard when they get up there in years like that....I think about people back home, such as former neighbors growing old.

The hot tub looked great! They make me sleepy and so relaxed!

Have a great trip!

((( HUGS )))