Wednesday, August 20, 2008

~Countdown to 40~

On August 24, at 12 Noon, Jim and I will have been married 40 years. We are really excited about this milestone in our marriage. As a prelude to the "big day" I thought I'd spend this week writing about our marriage.

I met Jim when I was nine years old. My mom and I got married that summer. My biological father had never been involved in my life, so when my "Dad" got my mom, he got me too. We moved into the new home that my father was building across the street from Jim and his family. Although we were both pretty cute kids, the romance came years later.




He was the guy across the street and I was Bob's sister. We were friends, but he was a grade behind me and we just travelled in different worlds. I remember sitting on our front stoop one summer evening and signinga paper saying that when he was 16 and got a car of his own, I'd go on a date witih him. That didn't happen, at least not at 16. But one morning a few years later, for some reason I don't remember now, I called him. And from there, it's all history.

I know some people talk about fate bringing them together; they were in the right place at the right time, spotted each other across a crowded room, etc. I know that it was God that brought us together. I know without a shadow of a doubt that this the man God had chosen for me. Although I'm a believer in free will, I sure am happy that when God spoke to my heart about Jim, I listened and so did he.

I've put together a list of Forty Fab Things About Jim. There are way more than forty wonderful things about my husband, but I can't possibly list them all. Here are the first ten, listed in random order:

1. He always gives me the biggest piece when we share.

2. He is a completely honest man.

3. He tolerates my messiness. I can't say he likes it, but since he loves me, he tolerates it.

4. He never says, "Don't cry", rather he holds me til I stop.

5. He reminds me to take my pills.

6. He still holds the door for me.

7. Never complains about potty stops when we travel.

8. He is a super father to our daughters

9. He points me in the right direction (even when I resist).

10. He loves the theater as much as I do.

Needless to say, I think I'm a pretty lucky lady. Stay tuned for more.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this post -- the photos say so much, too. Clearly, you were meant for eachother (I'm like you, I believe we have our own will, but if we're listening, He'll send us in a perfect direction). You both look so sweet in your photos (as with recent ones -- makes me smile -- and almost tear up with the beauty of your post!).

Thanks for sharing, happy anniversary, and a wish for many more great things/days for you both!

Midlife Mom said...

What a lovely post! As another long time spouse (37 years) I can appreciate how you feel! I did a post way back about 40 reasons why I love my husband and he was really touched. The pictures are so nice! Also enjoyed your post about going to the cabin and the pictures of the wildflowers are beautiful! Love visiting you!

camport said...

aw. I love that he gives you the biggest piece!

:)

Tracy said...

Oh my goodness - your childhood photo looks like Gretchen (or the other way around)!
Loved reading this post... I'll add one I like - he plays a mean "tie-olin."

Diane said...

How sweet! 40 years is such a blessing to share with someone you not only love, but like. You can tell in ALL of your posts, you do. Loved the pics...adorable.

Look forward to more "Fab" things about Jim.

Happy (early) Anniversary!!

Hugs,
Diane

Dawn said...

How sweet!! Congrats early on 40 years. My husband and I have been married for 15 years. I love the idea that the little things do not go unnoticed.

Renie Burghardt said...

Hi Pam,

Yes, 40 is a milestone, indeed! Congratulations. You both look cute in your early pictures. And how sweet that he has been in your life from way back when. You were meant for each other, that is so obvious. Loved the first ten fabulous things about Jim, and am looking forward to reading the rest. You are a one blessed lady! And he is pretty fortunate to have you as well.

Hugs,

Renie

Nancy said...

What a beautiful post!!! I can remember when Jim looked like that and you like that, too! I regognize those stairs to your room, too! Such cute pictures!!!

Jim is all 10 of those and MORE!!! He always was such a gentleman in school!!! You're one lucky lady, that's for sure!!! We would have had 44 years this past Spring, but in God's eyes, we are still married.

Anxious to read more now!!! And more pics, too!

Loved it, Pam!!!

Love ya! Happy Anniversary, even though it is a little early!!!

(((((( HUGS ))))))

Cheryl Wray said...

I think it is SO sweet that you guys knew each other as kids.I just love stories like that!