On August 24, at 12 Noon, Jim and I will have been married 40 years. We are really excited about this milestone in our marriage. As a prelude to the "big day" I thought I'd spend this week writing about our marriage.
I met Jim when I was nine years old. My mom and I got married that summer. My biological father had never been involved in my life, so when my "Dad" got my mom, he got me too. We moved into the new home that my father was building across the street from Jim and his family. Although we were both pretty cute kids, the romance came years later.
He was the guy across the street and I was Bob's sister. We were friends, but he was a grade behind me and we just travelled in different worlds. I remember sitting on our front stoop one summer evening and signinga paper saying that when he was 16 and got a car of his own, I'd go on a date witih him. That didn't happen, at least not at 16. But one morning a few years later, for some reason I don't remember now, I called him. And from there, it's all history.
I know some people talk about fate bringing them together; they were in the right place at the right time, spotted each other across a crowded room, etc. I know that it was God that brought us together. I know without a shadow of a doubt that this the man God had chosen for me. Although I'm a believer in free will, I sure am happy that when God spoke to my heart about Jim, I listened and so did he.
I've put together a list of Forty Fab Things About Jim. There are way more than forty wonderful things about my husband, but I can't possibly list them all. Here are the first ten, listed in random order:
1. He always gives me the biggest piece when we share.
2. He is a completely honest man.
3. He tolerates my messiness. I can't say he likes it, but since he loves me, he tolerates it.
4. He never says, "Don't cry", rather he holds me til I stop.
5. He reminds me to take my pills.
6. He still holds the door for me.
7. Never complains about potty stops when we travel.
8. He is a super father to our daughters
9. He points me in the right direction (even when I resist).
10. He loves the theater as much as I do.
Needless to say, I think I'm a pretty lucky lady. Stay tuned for more.