Sunday, August 24, 2008
Happy 40th to Us~
I had such good intentions about blogging every day approaching, today, our 40th wedding anniversary. Well, you all know what they say about good intentions. Friday and Saturday turned out to be a whirlwind of activity around here.
There was last minute shopping, putting up the tent for our party, the arrival of our house guests, eating, imbibing, more last minute shopping, etc. etc. There just wasn't any time for posting on my blog.
As it was, I can't imagine getting everything done without the help of Jim's brother and his dear friend. We are so grateful to them for coming and pitching in.
The party was wonderful. The caterer outdid herself with the excellent food. My dear friend, Sandi, designed beautiful flower bouquets and the weather cooperated. If only we could have sent the mosquitoes on vacation, all would have been perfect.
Tracy, my precious next door neighbor, took lots of pictures. Her are a few of her favorites. I'll post more when I receive them.
I had kept my wedding gown, all wrinkled up, in a bag in the attic. I took it to my friend, Claudia, and she steamed it and put it on her dress form. Isn't it lovely?
We served the cake and coffee in our dining area. The appetizers and drinks were under the tent and the main course was served buffet style on our enclosed porch. The logistics worked well. Again, a big thank you to Cathy for her help.
The Brothers Wolfanger had a great time making fun of "The Gown". The women, of course, thought it was a lovely idea. As an aside, Laverne was in Viet Nam when we were married and wasn't able to be at our wedding. Having him with us this weekend was a real blessing.
Once again, Jim proved himself as a gifted public speaker combining just the right amount of sentiment and humor to put everyone at ease. His prayer before dinner was touching and sincere. For once, I said nothing.
BUT, now it's my turn to pay tribute the wonderful man I married forty years ago as I finish the "40 Fab Things About Jim".
21. He cherishes me.
22. He doesn't complain about my messy office.
23. He encourages my intellectual and academic growth.
24. He listens to my dreams.
25. He tolerates my whims - but adds a touch of reality.
26. He grieves when I grieve and rejoices when I rejoice.
27. He dusts my hippos.
28. He watches "chick flicks" with me.
29. He gives me a back rub, just because.
30. He taught me to drive a five speed.
31. He stops for coffee whenever I want.
32. He prays with me.
33. He treated my mother with love and respect.
34. He encourages my hobbies.
35. He is a cool father-in-law.
36. He loves Jesus.
37. He tolerates my clothing and jewelry obsession.
38. He is just generally fun to be with.
39. He has excellent taste in women.
40. Aside from salvation, he is God's greatest gift to me.
It's been quite a ride these past 40 years. We are hoping for more. As the writing on our cake said, "Grow old with me...the best is yet to be." From our mouths to God's ears. Happy Anniversary, darling.