Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Dixie Carter,



The first time I became aware of Dixie Carter was sometime in the early 1970's. She was playing the part of Olivia Brandeis Henderson on one of my favorite Soap Operas, The Edge of Night. I couldn't remember exactly what the role was, only that she was a lawyer of some kind. Actually, she played an assistant District Attorney from 1974-1976. Even though I don't remember the details of the role, I remember how I was struck by her beauty, charm and strength.


I lost track of Dixie in the next few years while I was busy changing diapers, potty training, wiping runny noses and rocking my babies to sleep. Fast forward a few years and my girls are teenagers, enjoying watching television with their mama.


Now I have always loved southern women. In fact, to this day, I think I should have been born a southern women. They are without a doubt my favorite females on earth. Add to that strong minded, smart, beautiful southern women and whoop-di-doo, you have my attention. All that equals Designing Women, which my girls and I fell in love with.


Never before, or since, has there been such a great cast of women, great writing, and great acting. It was a sacred ritual that Paige, Gretchen and I sat down together to watch DW every week. When Paige went off to college, we taped every episode and watched them all together when she came home for holidays. Nothing could become between the Wo*****er Women and Designing Women.


I've purchased the first two seasons of this show and am watching them by myself these days, making plans to watch some of the episodes this summer when the girls come home for a visit. Although there are many, many delightful skits featuring all of the talented actresses of DW, Delta Burke, Jean Smart and Annie Potts, this one is a classic.





Bon Voyage, Julia Sugarbaker.

May 25, 1939 - April 10, 2010

~Hippo Hugs~




2 comments:

Lynilu said...

I've long admired her, also. She is a beautiful example of a Southern woman, not a simpering prissy one, but one full of grace and poise. I love, too, that she was partnered with Hal Holbrook, one of my favorite actors, and another example of a truly fine person.

She is already missed.

Midlife Mom said...

I loved that show too and never missed it. That combination of women was just perfect and always such a hoot! That clip brought back the memories of that show and I chuckled here all by myself! Now it seems so many of the shows are blood and guts and vam*pires! Gag!

Yes, Funsize is my brothers daughter. Her middle name is named after me. :o) She's a lovely young lady and we have lots of fun together. She'd like to find a nice christian young man! Now wouldn't she kill me for printing that! ha!