Monday, January 14, 2008

A Brand New Week

As much as I've complained and as slow as recovery has been, I do feel better every day. That said, it follows that today is the best I've felt this year. Even though I have bemoaned the state of my health these past weeks, I am really grateful for the progress I am making. Jim, too, is getting better each day. At this rate, we think we might even be up to having dinner guests by the weekend. HALLELUJAH!!!

Speaking of praises, we were both healthy enough to attend church yesterday. I had only been away two weeks, but it felt like much longer. It is so encouraging to be in corporate worship with friends and loved ones. It was really good to be back.

We did a little "doggie duty" in the afternoon. Our friends had to be away for the day and we were lucky enough to be able to take their greyhound, Cabela, out for his afternoon constitutional. He is such a great dog. I don't know if all greyhounds are like him, but he has the nicest temperament. He's a little stubborn at times, but his overall congeniality makes it easy to forgive that little glitch in his personality.





Honestly, his eyes don't glow in the dark.


Bad photographer!!


There is a sadness to this story though. He is suffering from a very rare canine autoimmune disease and the prognosis isn't good. We are all trying to enjoy every moment we have with him. He has had a wonderful life since his adoption and that gives us comfort.


Last night, we received a call from our neighbor telling us that they had said "goodbye" to their wonderful chocolate lab on Saturday. She has been a part of their lives for so many years. It was like losing a family member. They decided to bury her in the back yard. I went over to visit her grave today and left a flower. We will miss her so much. She had been ill for some time and we know this is best for her.


I hope this doesn't sound like a maudlin post. Both of these animals have blessed and enhanced the lives of those around them. They are a part of the circle of our lives and we are the better for having known them. This then, is about the joy of their being.

"The greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions, not on our circumstances."

Martha Washington

5 comments:

Mississippi Songbird said...

I'm so glad your and Jim's health is getting better.
and what a beautiful dog.. Sounds like you were a good dogsitter too..

I know it must have felt good to go back to church. I hope you have a blessed week.

Nancy said...

Glad both you and Jim are recovering. You've had quite a rough start to 2008.

Cabela is beautiful! The greyhounds that get adopted are truly the lucky ones!

So sad to hear about your neighbor's dog. I know the feeling all too well, having lost 12 cats, 2 dogs, and a pet rabbit over the years. And I still have 33 more to go!

Tracy said...

Pam, thanks so much for the pretty flowers on Jazzy's grave. It meant a lot to us. : )

camport said...

aww. I worked at a Vet's office for a few years and cried over the death of every one of our furry patients.

Glad you two are feeling better!

:)

Cheryl Wray said...

Aww, so sad to hear about the doggie!

And glad you are feeling better!